Friday, October 24, 2008

A conversation for another day...

Ok, I just have to relate a really funny thing that happened at our house today that involves somewhat of a sensitive but funny subject. So, let me start off by saying that since we're a family of 3 girls to 1 boy, we don't generally find any need to discuss the (ahem) male anatomy. However, since there are boy cousins in the family, and since Kylee and her cousin Andrew have taken baths together, the subject has come up a few times, so we've found ourselves having to come up with a name for (ahem) IT. So, the name that has stuck for quite a while now is PEANUT. I think this started with Andrew calling it that, or maybe I heard it from my mother-in-law, but anyways, wherever it came from, that's what it's called around here (for now anyway). Now, some of you may be ashamed of me and my inability or unwillingness to teach my 4 year old the anatomically correct term, but hey, THAT just wouldn't sound right coming out of a little girl's mouth!! Besides, there's plenty of time to learn correct terms. Anyhoo, back to my story. So, today Kylee had a peanut butter and jelly sandwich for lunch (the peanut butter happened to be crunchy kind). At one point, Kylee pulled out a small peanut chunk from the sandwich and asked what it was, so I told her it was a peanut because that's what peanut butter is made out of. A look of horror came over her face as she said, "Peanut butter is made out of PEANUTS??!" It was about half a second before I understood what she thought, and then I fell on the floor laughing my guts out!! In my haze of hysterical laughing, I could hear Kylee saying random things like, "But that's for going potty..." Seriously, even now, I can't stop laughing about it! Luckily, by the time I stopped laughing, she was done eating, and had gone off to play, which is a good thing, because I'm not ready for THAT conversation. That's simply a conversation for another day.... or another couple of years, maybe. But heaven knows if she'll ever eat peanut butter again!

2 comments:

Lynn Lambert said...

That is so hilarious! We've all had "those" moments!

Jenni said...

Ok, that was too Funny!!!! With three boys and no girls I have had some funny experiences the other way! When Jacob was 4 and my niece was an infant he went in to watch Melanie bathing her. He exclaimed, "Where's her peepee?!?" (That's our name for it.) I wasn't in there so Ellen said she's a girl so she has a different kind than you. Jacob thought a minute then asked, "So is your peepee like that too, Ellen?" Both my sisters came out laughing.

About Me

Ohio, United States
We're just a fun family of four living in Ohio while Brian's in graduate school, trying to keep in touch with family and friends.