Tuesday, February 12, 2013

Alligators

I knew there would be alligators around here, ya know, being Florida and all, but I didn't really realize how close they were until recently. One Saturday we were out for a drive, and I remembered reading somewhere that there was a lake in the middle of the University of Florida campus that has alligators in it that you can go and see. So we decided to go and take a look. I figured there might be a few behind a caged area or something. But to our surprise, there were a LOT of alligators there in the lake, they were not caged in any way, and you could literally walk right up to them to see them. If you were a daredevil, you could even try to touch one. It freaked me out a little seeing them so close up, especially when a big one we were looking at suddenly got aggravated about something and jumped out of the water, snapping at the fish around him. Nothing will get your adrenaline going like standing 2 feet from an uncontained alligator who suddenly starts jumping and snapping! Anyway, now it's one of our favorite things to do, go and see the alligators at Lake Alice.
 
,

 

 

I'm not sure what kind of turtles these are, but they're ginormous, and they have long funny noses. There's also tons of them in the lake. Maybe they're a species native to Florida?

5 comments:

Jenicca said...

Becky, you need to touch one of those alligators. Just go give him a big kiss (I'd wait for a cold day so he can't move as fast). It's your one big chance!

Jen said...

They have alligators in Louisiana, too. Creeped me out when we lived there. There were a couple areas on base where they were known to roam freely. They've even had several incidents where alligators have shown up in people's yards. Not cool.

Patty said...

Yikes!! This makes me glad I don't live in Florida (even if Ohio winters are a bit long!) I have to admit it's pretty cool too, though.

Jenicca said...

Ok, I keep checking for new posts but nothing and I know you've done a lot lately so get with it! This is your wake up call, we care so put some cute pics up of your cute kids gosh darn it. (mumble, mumble, mumble)

Brian and Becky said...

Keep your pants on, Jen, I'm getting to it! :)

About Me

Ohio, United States
We're just a fun family of four living in Ohio while Brian's in graduate school, trying to keep in touch with family and friends.